Thursday, February 02, 2012

Divine discontent

Three Dollars Worth of God 

I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please. 
Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, 
but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. 

I don’t want enough of God to make me love a black man or pick beets with a migrant. 

I want ecstasy, not transformation. 
I want warmth of the womb, not a new birth. 
I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack. 

I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.  

~Wilbur Rees~


The above is so true, and speaks so much of the human condition,
where we would so much rather have a God we can contain, 
one we can easily control and understand, one that we can fathom.

When we try to do things apart from God,
or when we try to just have that little bit of Him,
not any more or any less...
We live a life of lukewarmness, one that stagnates and festers

Experience: that most brutal of teachers. 
But you learn, my God do you learn.
~C. S. Lewis~

God is God precisely because He IS to more than just a passing thought,
He is God because He is the only One who can demand NOTHING & EVERYTHING of us,
because He gave us EVERYTHING, for our nothingness.
He is Good, even if we refuse to acknowledge it, He IS Good!

"God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, 
because it is not there. There is no such thing." 
~C. S. Lewis

Follow...

No comments: