Monday, December 24, 2012

2 quotes...

Need to think today...so doing it here...

Heard/saw 2 quotes yesterday that have kept me thinking til now

Quote 1 was an insightful statement, deep in it's truth, incisive
It pointed out how responsibility and rights are inversely linked,
how the granting of one, also means that the other is affected.
I liked the statement because of it's truth, and how it pointed out a reality i feel.
Yet it was also a heavy statement, because of the implications meant...
The more responsibility i have, the less rights i should expect.
It is dying to self, for the sake of others...for the sake of the Gospel.

Quote 2...I cannot wrap my mind around it
But i think it was mentioned in response to quote 1 above
And it spoke of how if a person was focussed on others...
they would have no time for self-pity...hmmmm...really?
But somehow I sense that's not the reality...

I think the spiritual reality is that...when we work as for God,
we will extend ourselves for others, and in the process,
we DO get tired, weary, and over-extended...even amidst the Joy!
I think the truth is that, in those moments, when we are weak...
the devil will attack our worth, with despair and self-pity...
it happens, and we should know about the reality...
so that we do not despair, so we understand our weakness,
so that we turn to God in those moments, so we rest and recover.

Simple platitudes, and statements which speak of an ideal situation,
may seem to just gloss over a very real human struggle/reality.
I don't think that is what we are in the business of doing...
We should give answers to heart questions as much as we can
so that at the end of the day, people may see that God is there in their struggle,
Love has never abandoned them, and that Christ is the greatest gift,
but we are the ones who sometimes/frequently forget...

Okay...my thoughts are clearer now...
In the first instance, I instinctively reacted against quote 2,
because it spoke of an ideal, not grounded in reality/experience,
it was a trite answer to a complex answer...one that stirs up more ire

Quote 1 hit home clearly because eventhough it was a tough statement to stomach,
it pointed out a reality, and prepared the listener to take it that way,
and it prepares us for the way forward...I think that is the nature of truth...
it points out something we dislike to see, yet also causes a breakthrough,
so that light cascades upon a situation and the path is clear for the journey ahead.

Quote 1 & 2, thanks for making me think... 

No comments: