Monday, January 31, 2011

Words are just words...or are they...really?

"Each generation has the world to deal with, in a different form...there is a sense, a feeling, that things aren't right, that the environment is not whole, but just what it is eludes analysis. We know that the spiritual atmosphere in which we live erodes faith, dissipates hope and corrupts love, but it is hard to put our finger on what is wrong."


Hmmm...i think that's right...
And for me, it appears in speech and culture...
I am abit appalled to hear the terms flying around,
and even more shocked to see that i've been a victim of them!

Sometime back...i got "facebook raped",
when someone who wasn't me, entered my facebook,
and then put something unpleasant on my status...
it was precisely something that i had been warning ppl about,
but to have it happen to me was...stunning...
Thankfully i was alerted & went to remove the unflattering statement
Security is one issue nowadays tt i think ppl are weak at...
my area of work is sensitive so i'm more conscious of it...
but slip ups happen...
however, i find it disturbing when ppl are looking for opportunities,
chances, loopholes, to prank their friends...
and in the parlance of the day...to "rape" them...

Actually, the term "rape" is strangely apt, because...
that was precisely how i felt when it happened to me,
violated, outraged, incensed & angry...very angry!!
The person who did it got an earful from me,
but my peeve was that...it was just an ordinary thing to him...
It isn't to me, because in the "rape" i felt totally betrayed...
like the person saw something, yet instead of helping, took advantage...

This kind of "looking out" is precisely the wrong way to go about it!
If we see something like that, instead of taking advantage,
shouldn't we be helping others be aware of the pitfalls?
Isn't that what friends ought to be doing?
Maybe that's why i'm puzzled...fun seems to be the chief motivation
Call me serious, cuz maybe there is love is such fun, but i fail to see it...
i totally, absolutely, completely fail to see anything loving in that

"facebook rape", "camwhore"...i'm not in touch with the lingo...
but gosh...how derogatory yet apt those terms are...
I wonder...is our society so desensitised now?
that terms like these float around...seemingly playful, harmless
yet being powerful enough to erode societal mores...
I sense that is truly so...& yet, we have a generation that isn't firm,
firm enough to make a stand, bold enough to make a decision.

"Each generation has the world to deal with, in a different form...there is a sense, a feeling, that things aren't right, that the environment is not whole, but just what it is eludes analysis. We know that the spiritual atmosphere in which we live erodes faith, dissipates hope and corrupts love, but it is hard to put our finger on what is wrong."

Also in my readings...i came across this concept...that we are ALL disciples...
each day, we are tutored, taught & shaped, we are apprenticed to something/someone.
We are in a growing/learning relationship constantly.
Then the question that arises is...what are we apprenticed to...really?

We always seem to take words and actions lightly,
maybe it is because our entertainment teaches us that...
Yet, we also use those same words and actions to communicate,
to express our deepest Joys and darkest pain.

I state this very clearly, i think curse/swear words have a place...
they belong to the extreme end of our word spectrum,
diametrically opposite Love & Worship,
There are certain words of extreme angst
& certain words of extreme esctasy...
That ought to be reserved purely for that use.

I think, our problem is that...we have brought this all together...
so that we muddle what we love, and what we hate,
and we pool it all together so things become..."DAMN FUN!",
"SHIT! this is SOOOooooo good!"
"OMG! this is F***ing AWESOME!!"

When we have done it this way...
i think we've really thrown our pearls to swine,
given away what is best and muddied it with the worst...
There is nothing good or awesome about those things...
Our words should really match our intent better

Words & actions are our communication,
We really ought to guard them well,
not use them loosely...

When will we ever learn? We are meant for so much more than this...
I'm heading back to the true meaning of being a Disciple...daily
I determine, as a choice, to be mastered by Christ, apprenticed to Him,
living and Loving Christ in an intimate, real relationship...
One that I value, one that I'll not hurt or harm...
One that i'll live in Love and enjoy in Joy,
because it is the relationship that truly matters!

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

No comments: