"Unfortunately, much to my mother's disapproval, I will not be walking in the opening ceremonies. I realize that everyone is different and that maybe it won't hurt others to walk in the ceremonies. However, knowing myself, I know that if I set the tone of my Olympic mission as one in which I am there to just enjoy the experience and not really go after the competition, then I will struggle. I am a very all or nothing type of guy. I am either training hard or not training, I am either very disciplined or not disciplined at all. This is something I have been working on since my college days. I would like to become a more rounded individual but I still have this all or nothing tendency. So knowing that about myself, I know that I must pass up the opening ceremonies so that I can truly give myself the best shot out on the roads two weeks later."
~Ryan Hall~ 2008 Olympic Marathon runner (USA)
It's been awhile since my last post, been abit too exhausted by all the goings-on of matriculation, changing roles, portfolios, exciting new areas of exploration and of course, the work generated by all of that!
I like what Ryan Hall said above, i love that this is a man who loves God, who knows himself, recognises his tendencies and works with them instead of against them!
Passion is nothing if not for a single-minded pursuit of something. Ryan is willing to forgo the spectacular & much hyped-up opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics, he's willing to forgo the chance to march in as an athlete, to be known as one who represents his country, all because his eyes are fixed on the goal.
To me, this amount of dedication, self-knowledge (knowing his tendencies), and single-minded focus, this is rare, and the mark of a man who knows that he is running for far more than to represent his country in the Olympics, far more than for personal recognition, the Olympics is BIG, and a wonderful opportunity, yet...after it is over, life will continue on as it has always, life will continue to be lived, and the joys will continue to come after that!
Seen in the longer term perspective, the opening ceremony is like...celebrating REACHING the Olympics! Obviously, to Ryan, that ISN'T the goal, he will not celebrate yet, he will not enjoy the show yet, his work is NOT done! He will continue to work hard, train hard, run the race that his country sent him to run, and celebrate when his job is done! Why do i get a sense that i will enjoy seeing Ryan's smile at the closing of the Olympics? =D
I like what Ryan Hall said above, i love that this is a man who loves God, who knows himself, recognises his tendencies and works with them instead of against them!
Passion is nothing if not for a single-minded pursuit of something. Ryan is willing to forgo the spectacular & much hyped-up opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics, he's willing to forgo the chance to march in as an athlete, to be known as one who represents his country, all because his eyes are fixed on the goal.
To me, this amount of dedication, self-knowledge (knowing his tendencies), and single-minded focus, this is rare, and the mark of a man who knows that he is running for far more than to represent his country in the Olympics, far more than for personal recognition, the Olympics is BIG, and a wonderful opportunity, yet...after it is over, life will continue on as it has always, life will continue to be lived, and the joys will continue to come after that!
Seen in the longer term perspective, the opening ceremony is like...celebrating REACHING the Olympics! Obviously, to Ryan, that ISN'T the goal, he will not celebrate yet, he will not enjoy the show yet, his work is NOT done! He will continue to work hard, train hard, run the race that his country sent him to run, and celebrate when his job is done! Why do i get a sense that i will enjoy seeing Ryan's smile at the closing of the Olympics? =D
No comments:
Post a Comment