Monday, April 07, 2008

Audience of One

'Having the same primary motivation at work as i have in the rest of my life - the desire to please, love, honour, obey and represent God to the best of my ability - also makes many of my professional decisions a lot less nerve-racking.

If i only have to please God, i can let a lot of other anxieties go. For example, i don't waste a lot of emotional energy worrying,

"What does this colleague or that boss think? What does he or she expect of me?
How is that group going to react? What do these people want?"

It's a lot easier to perform for the audience of One."

"Take the Risk" - Ben Carson

I like what Dr Ben Carson said, he has helped me articulate the life of simplicity that i try to live. I find it very difficult to work towards multiple goals or manage multiple expectations, and in recent years, i've really discovered what "single-mindedness" really means.

And yeah...in that, i realise that the simplicity in homing in to the goal means just one thing. And it is..."Living for the audience of One" Everything i do can be checked back with that, and it helps me in prioritising, setting goals, changing plans (yes, plans do change!), being flexible in thinking, not taking offence, addressing core issues not symptoms...i enjoy the clarity of thought now, that enables me to say with much verve and assurance still...

"you know....i really have no answers to that..."

I think that simple acknowledgement really opens the doors to God to work. When we realise the complexity of life, and how we will NEVER have ALL the answers, that is when God and His Glory takes center stage, as we begin to acknowledge that we could never have done any of that, it must have been God! WOAH! What a privilege to stand and watch the Master at work! =)

I'm beginning to enjoy that feeling lots now! =)
I suspect that this is what a quiet and confident trust really feels like! =)

Still waiting on you, Lord.

When I can't see Your hands,
i still trust Your heart. =)

No comments: